• Subscribe
  • 2 years of doing startups as a 22-year-old: Failures & Lessons Learned

Tham (Sylvia) Nguyen
    13 replies
    Hi everyone, I'm Tham/Sylvia, business student turned self-taught software engineer, and also maker of MindPal https://mindpal.space/ — a platform for building internal AI tools to automate thousands of tasks. (We're also launching on Product Hunt today, appreciate your support: https://www.producthunt.com/posts/mindpal-3) The past two years, from failing my first startup to gaining early traction with MindPal and heading towards more ambitious goals for the future, has been nothing short of life-changing for me. Although I am just getting started, these two years have taught me invaluable lessons that I will never forget. Lesson 1 — Do Hard Things To be honest, we never thought we could do what we have done until we did. Just a year ago, I would never think I could code, let alone building an entire application like MindPal with just two people. We weren't sure if anyone would buy our product, and now we're serving over 1,000 customers in over 120 countries. It's normal for all of us to tend to stick to what feels safe and comfortable, but we may be underestimating our capabilities. It's in doing hard things that we discover our true potential. These challenges may seem intimidating at first, but as we tackle them, they become familiar, extending our comfort zone and unlocking even more growth. Lesson 2 — Just Get Started It's easy to feel overwhelmed by the complexity of "hard things" and many of us have a tendency to wait for the perfect conditions to begin. We may wait until having a good pair of shoes to start running. We may wait until we have the perfect startup idea and funding to start building a startup. We may wait until being taught to learn something. For us, no one taught us about generative AI or building applications on top of LLMs (It's very very new). We are pioneers defining a new category in the market, and there's no playbook for us. We have to get started, fail, learn, and keep going. The key is to have the courage to start today, despite uncertainties, doubts or inertia. Lesson 3 — Don't Quit A year ago, Tuan (my co-founder in both startups) and I were on the verge of giving up. Our finances, morale, and confidence were at an all-time low. We questioned whether we should return to school and pursue traditional paths. But for some reason, we didn't give up, and that was the best decision we made. Those difficult times laid the foundation for the knowledge and skills we needed to build MindPal. We believe the biggest secret to knowledge, wealth, and success (whatever it is), is time. Just show up every day and keep going regardless, and the little things we do today will have a compounding effect much bigger than we could ever imagine. These lessons have shaped our mindset and working culture at MindPal, and we believe they will continue to guide us as we grow. We are just getting started, and we look forward to learning even more along the way. How about you? Share with me the lessons you've learned during your startup journey so far!

Replies

Nigel Engel
    these are all great lessons!
    CY Zhou
    Thank you for sharing your journey, Sylvia! Your experiences and insights are incredibly inspiring, especially for young entrepreneurs like myself.
    April-li
    It's great to see what you've achieved today, and you're worth it! You're right, we always comfort ourselves that the time is not yet ripe, so wait. This is how our ambitions and desires have been wiped out again and again. Maybe we don't need a pair of running shoes, even a normal pair of shoes, we can hit the road🏃‍♀️🏃‍♀️🏃‍♀️
    GuillaumeDSM
    Wow, that's a very inspiring story, thanks a lot for sharing it @sylviangth! I think many of us can definitely relate in to it on many aspects. Thanks again and congratz on MindPal !
    Stremm Tech llc
    1,2,3 thanks for sharing. well said! can definitely relate.
    Prem Saini
    Your lessons deeply resonate with me. Here are a few lessons i've learned from my startup experiences. - Work on customer value: Always have a valuable customer rather than someone who doesn't care about your product. Always prioritise solving real problems for your valuable customer only according to the market needs. - Build a strong team: Your avengers should be talented, driven group of individuals that are a good fit for your abilities. You always need a strong team remember, I made this mistake you don't
    Tham (Sylvia) Nguyen
    @prem_saini1 Thanks for sharing. I really relate with your first point. Building something that can bring value to people is very fulfilling, yet very difficult too. I'm still learning the 2nd point: how to hire well.
    Gurkaran Singh
    Wow, Tham/Sylvia, your startup journey is like coding a masterpiece from scratch — full of unexpected bugs and satisfying breakthroughs! It's inspiring to see how persistence and innovation can turn challenges into opportunities. Keep conquering those entrepreneurial mountains!