Is the Customer always right?

Jovana Ugrinic
49 replies
How do you manage to stay calm when dealing with challenging clients? I personally try to be assertive while remaining kind despite tough circumstances. Easier said than done, though.

Replies

Sara jalildokhti
dealing whith challenging clients can be hard so mainly focus on the outcome of the conversation and then it would be much easier!
Woods Shop
Keep calm. It is the best weapon.
Yannick
I'm unable to do that. I'd prefer to develop an AI chatbot to handle these individuals instead of having to deal with them.
@mho22 love this! this may or may not be the very reason why we've started this whole customer service automation game, not gonna lie!
Claudiu Cogalniceanu
If their complaints are unfounded, I would just get rid of them. They may not be the right customer for you. And that’s ok.
@claudiu_cogalniceanu This is true - I was wondering the same thing: do we attract the wrong kind of customers and why.
George Burmistrov
When I'm at the verge of snapping I just remember that it's a human sitting there, behind the screen so to say. And I just can't get all medieval on thhem. I dunno, maybe it's just the way I perceive human interactions. A customer may be rude & entitled, but it doesn't mean I can go and stomp them with words. Patience is a virtue.
Lusine Sargsyan
For me, keeping cool in these situations means being assertive yet kind, no matter how tough it gets. It's definitely easier said than done :)) Back in my days as a CSM at a SaaS company, I bumped into my fair share of not-so-happy campers :D Some even got a bit colorful with their language. For me, the trick is not to take it personally. Instead, I'd politely let 'em know that if they kept at it, I'd have to pull the plug. In some cases, things got so wild that we had to cut off chat and phone access for those clients. And guess what? They stuck around! Goes to show, setting boundaries can actually improve things.
Hussein Hashish
Absolutely not 😂 whenever i used to face a “challenging client”, i remember the movie click 🤣
Jake Harrison
No, I only accept that customers can describe what their problems are, but they can not find a solution without your help
Lin Vert
No. Not always. But you have to be willing of answer. Insights from that interaction can be deal breaker for you.
Igor Lysenko
The client is the person for whom we work; if a large percentage of users do not like the product, then we need to change until they like it.
@ixord I agree if there is indeed a pattern. In that case, you can spin that challenging behaviour around by being more receptive to all the feedback you can get and act upon it (quickly).
Vivek Sharma
No, customers are not always right, but their concerns should be acknowledged and addressed professionally. Always stay calm with difficult customers, try to understand their concerns, and find solutions.
@vivek_equp nailed it! It does become easier the more you do it, right?
Albama Linn
It depends on what you mean by "right." If you mean that the customer is always correct about their needs and wants, then the answer is no. Customers are human, and humans make mistakes. They may not always know what they need or want, or they may have unrealistic expectations.
@albama_linn This is such a valid perspective that perhaps tends to get overlooked or easily forgotten. I'll keep it in mind.
Daniel Zaitzow
I think it depends on the nature of the business - if you work in hospitality - very rarely is the customer wrong - I find that with the veil of the computer / in some SaaS spaces - theres more of a symbiotic relationship so being more frank with your customers (enterprise or otherwise) about limitations is really important. and yea always deliver it in a kind assertive way - optimally you've built enough rapport building up to this point where its not a shock to them to get information they don't want to hear.
Janusz Mirowski
yes and no :D depends XD
Sophia Solanki
No, but you should always listen to them - there's a lot of insight in customer conversations. Their problems are more revealing than the solutions they may offer - so listen with that bias.
Constantin Wintoniak
I have worked with a lot of German-speaking clients, so culturally, there might be differences ;) that being said: In my experience, "The customer is always right" is more a guiding principle than an absolute. It emphasizes valuing customer perceptions. Yet, there are times when customers might have misconceptions. In these moments, I've found that active listening and empathy are crucial. And when they both fail, I have more than once succeeded by more bluntly stating the obvious. But as I said, this might work better for some clients (and target groups) than for others.
Kyle Henz
The phrase "the customer is always right" is often used to justify poor customer service behavior. For example, an employee may ignore a customer's complaint or refuse to help them because they don't want to deal with a difficult situation. This is not acceptable.
Christin Koehler
Keep calm. It is the best weapon.
Dave-Anthony Smith
"The customer is always right" has been misunderstood over time. It doesn't mean bending over backward for every customer. You can't please everyone. Instead, it's about recognizing trends and patterns in customer data. For instance, if most users drop off during a multi-step sign-up process, simplify it. The data is telling you that the process is too complicated. The key is to adapt based on repeated patterns in your customer data, not solely on individual feedback, which can be subjective. You're not going to change your business model or policies because a single customer didn't like it. If multiple customers are highlighting the same problem, now you have a pattern and need to address it.