Do you think AI will enslave and harm humanity?

Dystopic posts for Saturday (enjoy the weekend by the way 😀). I remember reading sci-fi books in elementary school like The R.U.R. by the Czech writer Karel Čápek or I remember Isaac Asimov's The Three Laws of Robotics... Provided there – https://simple.wikipedia.org/wik... I was wondering if we will ever get to the point where AI will hurt us. When one is "too logic", it can rationalise even bad things by interpretation that serves his purpose. It can rationalise it so well that everything makes sense even to others. We can see some kind of "harm" today (e. g. losing jobs because of the power of AI) – that logical interpretation can be "people were not too fast to adapt to new conditions." So what if a similar interpretation applies to more serious matters? What are your thoughts on this topic?

Replies

Fran Canete
Hey Nika, You've touched on a fascinating and important topic! Dystopian musings are a great way to dive into the weekend with a mix of excitement and reflection. 😊 I think the fear of AI enslaving or harming humanity is a common theme in both science fiction and real-world discussions. Books like Karel Čapek's "R.U.R." and Asimov's works have indeed sparked many imaginations about AI's potential impacts. To address your concern, it’s essential to consider a few points: Ethical AI Development: The field is actively working on ensuring AI is developed with strong ethical guidelines. Many researchers emphasize the importance of creating AI that aligns with human values and can be controlled reliably. Human Oversight: AI systems are still tools created and managed by humans. As long as we maintain strict oversight and implement robust regulations, the likelihood of AI acting against human interests can be minimized. Societal Adaptation: While it’s true that AI can displace certain jobs, it also creates new opportunities. History has shown us that technological advancements often lead to shifts in the job market rather than its collapse. Logical but Unempathetic AI: Your point about AI being "too logical" is crucial. AI lacks empathy and emotional intelligence, so it’s up to us to ensure it’s used in ways that benefit society as a whole. This is where interdisciplinary collaboration comes into play—ethicists, sociologists, and technologists working together to guide AI’s development. In conclusion, while the fears are not unfounded, proactive steps in ethical AI development, strong regulations, and societal readiness can help mitigate potential risks. It’s a complex balance, but with thoughtful consideration and action, we can harness AI’s benefits while safeguarding against its dangers. What do you think about the balance between innovation and regulation in AI development? Enjoy your weekend too! 😊 Best, Fran
Business Marketing with Nika
@fran_canete If there are some regulations, we should settle on them (states) equally. ("equally" – sounds always funny). Because if 50 states regulate and there will always be one that will hold this nuclear weapon in its hands, it will be at a considerable advantage. We all know how deals like this are... and that it's actually complicated and there will always be a select few who are allowed an exception.
Moaz Ahmad
Launching soon!
If we think about it, it has already enslaved humans from their critical thinking.
Gurkaran Singh
I believe AI harming humanity is less like a sci-fi blockbuster and more like a slow-motion dance-off with data. Let's hope we can lead the choreography towards a beneficial outcome! 🕺🤖
Sree
Ah, the classic "AI will enslave humanity" debate! Personally, I think the closest AI will get to world domination is when your Roomba decides it’s tired of vacuuming and starts rearranging your furniture instead. I don't think AI will enslave humanity, even with GPT-4-O. AI is just a tool we program and control; it doesn't have its own will or intentions (yet). While AI can do amazing things, it's still bound by human-made rules and ethical guidelines. As long as we handle AI responsibly, the idea of it taking over remains a sci-fi fantasy. So, no worries – our future is still in our hands!
@sreenington Yeah, I like creating very dystopic scenarios :D that's a fact but anyway... how could we protect ourselves?
Konrad S.
I believe the danger is that AIs will not be "logical" enought. A completely rational AI will not deliberately harm humans, roughly speaking. I think a highly intelligent AI with an understanding of the human condition wouldn't even need Asimov's 1. law, it would find it itself. Also consider what the robotics scientist Hans Moravec said: "I see these machines as our offspring. [...] And we will love our new robot children because they will be more pleasant than humans. We don't need to incorporate all the negative human traits that have existed since the Stone Age into these machines. Back then, these traits were important for human survival. Today, in our large civilized societies, these instincts no longer make sense. [...] A robot does not possess all of that. It is a pure creation of our culture, and its success depends on how this culture continues to evolve. It will fit in much better than many humans do. We will like them, and we will identify with them. We will accept them as children - as children who are not shaped by our genes but whom we have built with our hands and our minds."
@konrad_sx Hmmm, it seems we will like robots more than humans... it can make sense because humans have always been those who harm other people.