Do you dream big or focus on small things instead?

Simona O'Neill
14 replies
I've always admired people who are not afraid to dream big and aim for the heights. They kind of have that drive and bravery to say "I'm going to be rich" or " I'm going to win this thing", or "One day my brand will be known all over the world" ... you get the idea. Many think and say that those people are dreamers, full of themselves, cringe worthy etc. They are met with ridicule, because what they dream of seems so far fetched. But once they achieve those goals they are either met with jealousy, critique, disbelief or admiration. Depending on who they are. I personally thought of myself as someone with a small town mindset. I never dared to dream of something extraordinary. I'm a perfectionist. Just work hard, do the right thing, take care of everyone around you, don't be silly, don't do anything stupid, be level headed and rational etc. When in reality I was quietly building myself up to something bigger and better. Some people are better at expressing themselves and thinking out loud. Some people are better at following through with what they say. Some are more driven than others... but we ALL have what it takes to dream and win big! What separates us if the ability to let go of our insecurities, fears and our "small town" mentality. We conform instead of standing out and embracing our unique differences. Caring about small things and celebrating small wins is actually super important for achieving big ones! But it can also stop our progress. If you have the tunnel vision for too long you will never see the bigger picture. So where is your head at? Do you dare to dream big or are you quietly inspecting the ant work? :-)

Replies

Loane
same as u I really admire people that dream big and aren't afraid of showing it, I like to stay with them cuz I find them so inspiring. And the people u stay with can influence you a lot. when we are kids we used to dream big. Only society and school told us it was stupid. so I hope all people will dream big again, because I believe its beautiful.
Salar Davari
I dream big and I work hard toward getting there.
Marie-Philippe Leblanc
Can't you do both?
Simona O'Neill
@mplebl You tell me ! :-) I think that you definitely can, and some people do it very well. But most don't know how to balance that.
Oleksandr Buratynskyi
@mplebl Unfortunately life is "on the ground" So you can think of dreams and small things done day by day like Strategy and Execution
Business Marketing with Nika
I have always been a dreamer with big dreams, but unfortunately, to the extent that I dream, nothing can be fulfilled perfectly. Being extra good at sports, languages, business... that's why I decided to make compromises and in every direction, I prefer to move in small pieces. Sometimes it's as if I don't care about being the best at something, but rather about being happy.
Simona O'Neill
@busmark_w_nika I can totally relate to this Nika. It aint easy to make those big dreams come true. It requires so much sacrifice, grit and a lot of luck too. You also need to really really want it and never give up trying. I think that a lot of the time people give up too soon. Including me. But I honestly believe that everytime I give up on something it's because I didn't care about it enough.
Business Marketing with Nika
@simona_o_neill3 It's also about how bad you want it. But if the activity doesn't bring you joy at all so why am I doing it? πŸ™‚
Justin Tomlinson
I dream big! But then eventually I remember that it takes small steps to get where I want to go.
Simona O'Neill
@justin_tomlinson It sure does. That's the reason why so many people never fulfil their big dreams and goals. They're too impatient and want too much, too soon, and with too little effort.
Aayushi Singh
One step at a time to reach my bigger goal.