Community-led growth vs Product-led growth. Which is more important?

Milli Sen
19 replies
I believe both a product and a community play a major role in the success of a business. But which should you spend more time on? Building a community or a product? I think a community weighs more in terms of the impact. What do you think?

Replies

Heyalbert
I'm striving to strike a balance between these two factors. Both are crucial, even with a great product, without community support, its benefits might not reach the intended audience.
I think it depends. Some products are better suited to one growth strategy more than the other.
Sebastian Karges
@jgani Totally agree, highly context-dependent on what's moving the needle.
@sebastian_karges Yup. It also depends on external constraints. For example, I have an app that generates decent MRR, and is growing consistently. Despite being a healthy app, it cannot have product-led growth features in it. In the case of this app, it's a plugin that sits atop of another platform, which imposes restrictions that block my ability to implement growth features.
rokcso
I can't tell which of the two is more important, they're like the left and right hands of product growth. But I prefer my product to be product-led growth, and I believe that community-led growth is based on good products, or good products are easier to form good communities and build community-led growth.
Kayla Lafi
I think there should be a balance. Without a community, the product may go under notice. However, once that community is building you can trust the product to lead that growth. When starting out, I would focus on building awareness and trust so that your product when ready can take the lead.
Aris Nakos
Having a community will inevitably lead to product growth or finding PMM.
Anastasia Liamets
Both! But I feel like the 2nd one is fuelling the 1st
PRIYANKA MANDAL
Hey Milli, personally, I see the value in both community-led growth and product led growth. While a strong product is essential for attracting and retaining customers, a supportive community can amplify its impact and foster long term loyalty. I believe finding the right balance between the two is key. What matters most is understanding your audience and meeting their needs effectively, whether through product innovation or community engagement.
Gurkaran Singh
Building a flourishing community can be like watering the roots of a tree - it nurtures sustainable growth. However, a stellar product serves as the juicy fruit enticing everyone to gather around. So, why not aim for a thriving orchard by nurturing both? It's like having the cake and eating it too!
Neel
Very pertinent question! This is something I've personally been struggling to figure out. However, I would tend to believe that once users start appreciating a good product it's their word of mouth that would build the community around the product and its features?